Sunday, November 13, 2011

Comicbooks I'm most excited about this week!

by Amir Malekpour

As each week ends, I start to get excited about the prospects of the new week. I start to ponder the upcoming week and think about the charmed life I live. There are a lot of things on my mind ; I need to write more comedy, how can I learn PHP/SQL faster, and what if zombie apocalypse hit us today, do I have enough canned goods? But what gets me most excited about the week is Wednesday, when the new comics come out. This week I am planning on getting 11 issues and I've rated them in order of excitement.

11. Birds of Prey #3 by



Written by: Duane Swierczynski
Art by: Jesus Saiz

One of the biggest surprises of the NEW 52 has been Birds of Prey. I've never been into this title before, even though it's had great creators. But this time around, I'm liking the combination of the team building, human bombs, and addition of a sexy bad ass character Starling.

10. Planet of the Apes #8



(W) Daryl Gregory
(A/C) Carlos Magno

Planet of the Apes has been consistently good month in and month out. Gregory's pen has yielded a political story that takes place in the future, but feels like the middle ages. I can't say enough good things about Carlos Magno. This guy reminds me of Geof Darrow and Frank Quietly. He is that good! The only reason rate it higher is because I missed #7 and I'm not sure if I'll understand what's going on.

9. Mudman #1



story /art / cover Paul Grist

This comic book is my dark horse of the week. I am not too familiar with Grist, though I do own one issue of Jack Staff. The cover looks really cool and I wouldn't mind getting a fresh take on superheros.

8. Batman #3



Written by: Scott Snyder
Cover by: Greg Capullo


Scott Snyder is my favorite writer currently producing work. I own everything he's done, except his human Torch issues. So you can imagine that I'm pretty excited about this issue. I didn't rank it higher because unlike 99% of the comic book readership, I wasn't as much into Greg Capullo's art. Don't get me wrong, the guy has chops and I like his art. But I just feel like it's too cartoony for Snyder's style of writing. This issue is going to be amazing and I'm sure I'll love it since it's being done by two pros, so I have nothing to worry about.

7. Justice League #3



Written by: Geoff Johns
Cover by: Jim Lee

Geoff Johns the nicest great writer of our time. If you're judging from the cover, we'll be getting Wonder Woman in this issue which should be a lot of fun. I'm excited. Honestly, Justice League's pace has been a little too slow for me, but that doesn't mean that I am not enjoying Jim Lee's amazing art and Johns's careful deconstruction of the team. I'm excited!


6. Nightwing #3



Written by: Kyle Higgins
Cover by: Eddy Barrows

Another surprise book for me. I expected to buy the #1 issue and never read Nightwing again. But hey, don't blame me, I was loving the Batman Dick and didn't want him to go back. Was I wrong!?!? Higgins and Barrows are killing it in this series. I love the story from Grayson's past, and the action in this comic is so much fun. The element of romance and danger doesn't hurt either.



5. Thunderbolts #165



Written by: Jeff Parker
Cover by: Kev Walker


Easily my favorite Marvel comic and the only one on this list. Jeff Parker is so funny and so original. This new story line has the defected Thunderbolts in WWII helping Captain America fight Hitler! Nothing gets better. This book has a rotation of some future comic book artist stars, but Kev Walker is the main guy and he rules.

4. Supergirl #3



Written by: Michael F. Johnson
Pencils by: Mahmud Asrar

Johnson and Asrar just kick ass on this title. Supergirl is one of those titles that anyone can get enjoyment out of. This is one that would be good for all ages, races, creeds, and genders. But that doesn't mean it's bland. In fact Supergirl has been one of the more badass characters in the new DC 52.

3. Catwoman #3



Written by: Judd Winick
Art by: Guillem March

This title is not for kids, that's for sure. But I am freaking loving it! I like the sex and the violence and don't think it's disrespectful at all. Of course I am not a woman, but I know a few women who have read this issue and loved it. But that's not why I'm excited about this. I think March has stepped up his awesome art and Winick shows every week why he has become one of my top 5 writers today.

2. Wonder Woman #3



Written by: Brian Azzarello
Art by: Cliff Chiang

No surprise here. If it's one thing I've learned from the new DC 52 is that in DC women rule and no one rules more than Wonder Woman! The always amazing Chiang delivers on every page and Azzarello is doing my most favorite work of his career.

1. Chew #24



Written by: John Layman
Art by: Rob Guillory

oh GOD I love this title. Chew has been consistently good for 25 straight issues! Month in and month out this comic book is intriguing, funny, and beautiful. I have bought every copy and can't wait for the omnibus. I love this team.

No comments: