Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Buy more indie comic books!

by Amir Malekpour

Recently I've been thinking of shifting my purchasing from the major two comic book publishers to some indie comics. The reason initially came about when I realized that comics is what I spend most of my money on, next to rent and food. But finance is not the reason for the switch because indie comics tend to be more expensive than DC comics, sometimes more than Marvel (not often).

Here are some reasons for wanting to purchase outside DC/Marvel:

1. Helping out the little guy

I think this is the most important part of buying indie comics. As a part-time comedian, I know how much an artis/creator appreciates when there are afficianados who seekout lesser known or start-ups. You're supporting someone who is doing comic books for the love of the medium because god knows there isn't much money in it.

2. More original content done with love

I love popular superhero comics, but how many times can you read about Spider-Man having girl trouble, while holding down a job, and fighting bad guys. The answer is a lot, but that's not the point. If you want to read some original content, even in the superhero side, try indie comics or smaller publishers, you won't regret it.

3. chance to discover talent before everyone else does

What's more cool than knowing that you enjoyed someone's work and supported their art form way before everyone else jumped on the bandwagon. I read Hickman's Nightly News, Pax Romana, Transhuman before he ever got to work on his awesome FF run. It's been so enjoyable to see him become so successful. Props to James Sime of Isotope for recommending him.


4. Indie Comics more rare, hence worth more

If you're about the bottom line, $$$, your greedy little hands will want to buy some indie comics. Some of the most expensive comics of the last 10 years have been rare indie comics. Chew #1 ($587.77 on Ebay), Our Love is Real ($119.99), and Non-Player ($125.00) come to mind.


5. Chance to meet and be friends with the creators

I can't forget about this. Some of the nicest people I've met are comic book creators. Now, I've met nice creators in all categories, but newer creators are not hounded as much, so you can pick their brain about their work.




No comments: