Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sunday Evening Iced Tea

Every Sunday I go to one of my favorite coffee shops in San Francisco, Cafe Triest, to write some jokes, prepare for the week coming, read a book, or reread some of my favorite comic books.

Starting July 25th, I will be writing about some of the favorite things I read, did, or saw in hopes that others who share interests would be able to enjoy them also. Hey, I'm not a greedy fellow, I like to share.

So you might be surprised to find out that, in addition to doing Stand-Up Comedy Professionally, I am a Search Engine Marketing Strategist. Last Friday was my last day at my old company, Friend Finder Network which I had been at for close to 8 years! It was a bittersweet day because I will miss a lot of great people. But I am extremely excited to be starting a new position at the Apollo Group and joining an awesome team there. I have not had a chance to write any new jokes, but that's cool because my mind has been stewing on new ways I will add to my new company just like I did for Friend Finder.

As a good bye present my friend and colleague Roland gave me as a gift; Absolute Green Lantern Rebirth [Hard Cover] . First off, let me say that I made a fool out of myself. When I saw him come into work on Friday, I noticed that he had gotten something and I assumed it was a book for himself, so as a joke, I asked "Hey, buddy! What didja get me?". He gave me the present and instantly made me feel like a jerk.

For many months I had debated getting this book because it's written by one of the best comic book writers working today Geoff Johns and penciled by Ethan Van Sciver, one of the super stars artists of the last 10 years. This story arc is one of the reasons Green Lantern related comic books tend to be some of the highest selling comic books. There is also a movie coming out next summer starring Ryan Reynolds. It's one of the first books I read when I started to come back to comic books as an adult. Highly recommended.

So why don't I have this book? One reason is that I already own it's cheaper versions, trade paperback and issue formats. Both of which have been signed by Geoff Johns and Ethan Van Sciver. I also felt that the $75 price tag was too much for an absolute with essentially only 6 issues. For example, Batman Hush, another great DC absolute has 12 issues with slightly higher price tag.

But after receiving the book and seeing that I could have gotten it for $48 on amazon, I felt like it is worth it. This is a beautiful book and the large format really shows how amazing an artist Ethan Van Sciver is. This book is going on my premier shelf up there with Watchmen absolute edition and Batman Absolutes. As a bonus, it includes a Green Lantern issue written and drawn by my favorite comic book creator/writer/artist/human being Darwyn Cooke.

No comments: